Here is an update on series I’ve started, finished, continued, or am still “reading” between January and March 2023.
Before jumping into the books, here are some fun stats:
- I read 18 books between January and March
- Of those, 16 were part of a series
- Not counting rereads:
- I’ve started 9 new series
- I finished 2 series
- I continued reading 3 series
- I have 20 series that I’m currently reading
- 10 of these I am up-to-date and waiting on the next book to be released
Series I’ve Started
Let’s start out with the new series I’ve started in the first quarter of 2023. I’ve been trying a bunch of different things to try and get out of my slump. This resulted in trying a bunch of new series with varying results.
The Aurelian Cycle by Rosaria Munda
YA political fantasy about dragon riders.
Series Status: completed trilogy
My Status: completed
Already completed. I picked up Fireborne in January and then read the other two books in March. I really loved this series.
Stolen Heir by Holly Black
YA series about faeries set in the world of Elfhame.
Series Status: planned duology, 1st book released in 2023
My Status: DNF’d book 1
Series DNF’d. I loved the Cruel Prince series but this was just boring. I DNF’d book one and I’m done.
The Expanse by James SA Corey
Epic space opera
Series Status: completed series of 9 books plus several short stories
My Status: read 1 of 9
I will continue. I really enjoyed this first book and have the second book already. I will definitely be continuing on soon.
Check Please by Ngozi Ukazu
LGBTQ+ graphic novel series about a boy who plays hockey and likes to bake
Series Status: completed duology
My Status: read 1 of 2
Will probably continue. This was fine and a quick read. There’s only one more so I’ll probably read it at some point.
Regency Faerie Tales by Olivia Atwater
Series of standalone historical fantasy romances
Series Status: completed trilogy
My Status: read 1 of 3
Will continue. This was fun although a little forgettable. Since they are standalones, I will likely continue at some point.
The Sandsea Trilogy by Chelsea Abdullah
Adult djinn inspired adventure fantasy
Series Status: planned trilogy, book 1 released and book 2 expected in 2023
My Status: read 1 of 3
Series DNF’d. I didn’t enjoy this one. It was not well explained and I didn’t care about the characters. I will not be continuing.
Alchemical Journeys by Seanan McGuire
I have no idea how to explain this one, maybe someone can help
Series Status: unknown length, 2 books released
My Status: read 1 of 2 released
Series DNF’d. Ugh, I really didn’t like this one. It’s vibes and no plot/explanation. I just need to admit that I don’t like Seanan McGuire.
Valdemar by Mercedes Lackey
Classic epic fantasy with first series following a young girl who becomes a herald to protect the queen
Series Status: 41 books and counting, this is the first trilogy
My Status: read 1 book
Series DNF’d. I’m glad I picked this up, it was fun to see the influences on more current fantasy. However, I didn’t love it and don’t feel the need to slog through this monster of a series.
Mossa & Pleiti by Malka Older
Mystery sci-fi series of novellas set on Jupiter
Series Status: unknown series length, first book released in 2023
My Status: read 1 of 1 released
Series DNF’d. I did not enjoy this and a week later, I don’t remember it. I will not be continuing.
Series I Finished
I finished two series between January and March.
I finished The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. I enjoyed this series but didn’t love it and particularly thought the third book was the weakest. I will continue reading the Realm of the Elderlings but this was a beast so I’m still counting it as a completed series since this is a trilogy.
I also mentioned it in the series started but I loved it so much I’m including it twice. I finished The Aurelian Cycle by Rosaria Munda. It’s been such a long time since I felt the need to binge a series but I couldn’t not pick up the last one right away. A new favorite and one I’ll want to come back to some day.
Series I Continued
There are 3 series that I started before 2023 that I have made progress in but didn’t finish yet.
- The Time Trials by Jon and Dayna McConnell
- 2 books released, unsure of series length
- I’ve read 2 of 2 released, the 2nd in the 1st quarter
- I have really been enjoying this series. I thought it was a planned duology but the ending of the second book had me thinking there will be more.
- Temeraire by Naomi Novik
- Completed series of 9 books
- I’ve read 4 of 9 books, 1 in the 1st quarter
- I really like this world and these characters, I’ll be reaching for the 5th book soon.
- Tita Rosie’s Kitchen Mysteries by Mia P. Manansala
- 3 books released, 4th book planned to be released in 2023, unknown series length
- I’ve read 2 of 3 released books, 1 in the 1st quarter
- I really liked the first book and the second one was not as good but still fun. I’ll eventually pick up the next one when I need a change of pace.
Series I Haven’t Continued but Want To
And my last category is series that I haven’t touched in the last 3 months but do intend to keep reading. A lot of these are because the next book isn’t out yet but some I just haven’t been in the mood for.
- The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu– I’m still intimidated by the second book but I do remember the 1st one vividly so keeping this one on the list at least for now.
- Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao – Book 2 has been delayed yet again but I’ll read it as soon as I can.
- The Last Binding by Freya Marske – Book 2 of this trilogy was published in November and I plan to pick it up in 2023.
- The Drowning Empire by Andrea Stewart – I have some issues with this series but the 3rd book is supposed to be published in April and I need to find out what happens with Mephi.
- Castles in Their Bones by Laura Sebastian – Book 2 was released in February, I’ll pick it up soon.
- The Book of Tea by Judy I Lin – The second book in this duology was released in August. I didn’t hear the best things and am a little torn about continuing. I’ll probably pick it up in the spring if at all.
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor – I have only read book 1 but I do still plan to continue.
- Starlight’s Shadow by Jessie Mihalik– The third book is supposed to be released in May.
- Greatcoats by Sebastien de Castell – I really enjoyed the first book in this series. I finally got my hands on the second book and I plan to pick it up soon.
- Twin Crowns by Catherine Doyle and Katherine Webber – The second book is supposed to be released in April.
- American Royals by Katharine McGee– The fourth book is supposed to be released in 2023.
- Spellslinger by Sebastien de Castell – I’ve read 3 of the 6 books, I plan to continue and maybe even finish it throughout 2023.
- Supernatual Investigations by BB Alston – Book 3 is expected to be published in 2023.
- Between Earth and Sky by Rebecca Roanhorse – The third book is supposed to be released in August and I’m so excited.
- Defy the Night by Brigid Kemmerer– I can’t believe I have to wait until January 2024 to see how this one ends, I love these characters.
- A Stitch in Time by Kelley Armstrong – I’ve really enjoyed this series and although it isn’t on Goodreads yet, the last book said a fourth one is coming.
- Aurora Cycle by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff – I have one book left in this YA space opera, I plan to read it in April.
Wow, that’s a long list, thanks for reading!