After trying all different intervals, I’ve settled on making this a quarterly thing. I’m not sure how interesting this is to anyone else but I love writing this post and it’s a great reason to check on publication dates for the books I’m waiting to have released and remind me of the series I have been neglecting. Here is an update on series I’ve started, finished, continued, or am still “reading” between October and December 2022.
Before jumping into the books, here are some fun stats:
- I read 17 books between October and December
- Of those, 11 were part of a series
- Not counting rereads:
- I’ve started 2 new series
- I didn’t finish any series
- I continued reading 5 series
- I have 22 series that I’m currently reading
- 10 of these I am up-to-date and waiting on the next book to be released
Series I’ve Started
Let’s start out with the new series I’ve started in the last quarter of 2022. I was definitely not reading my normal amount but trying to read enough to meet my annual goals. So unsurprisingly, I picked up two new graphic novel series.
Lore Olympus by Rachel Smythe
Graphic novel series that puts a modern twist Greek mythology, mostly Hades and Persephone.
Series Status: Unknown series length, 3 books currently released and 4th book planned in 2023
My Status: read 1 of 3 released
Series DNF’d. I read volume 1 and it was by no means bad but it just isn’t for me. I think I’d need to know a lot more about Greek mythology or be more into graphic novels to really appreciate this one.
Fence by C.S. Pacat
YA graphic novel series about a fencing team.
Series Status: unknown series length, 5th volume released in 2022
My Status: read 4 of 5 released
Probably won’t continue. I had a fun afternoon reading all 4 volumes of Fence that my library had. They didn’t have the 5th one and I’m not really motivated to continue even if they get it in the future. It was fun but I don’t feel a need to know what happens next.
Series I Finished
Series I Continued
There are 5 series that I started before October 2022 that I have made progress in but haven’t finished yet.
- Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples
- 9th volume released in 2022, 14 volumes planned per Goodreads
- I’ve read 8 of 9 released, 2 in the 4th quarter
- I have enjoyed my time with these. I have heard the 9th one seems like a different story and now that I’d need to wait in between volumes, I’m not super interested in continuing. I might be done here but we’ll see.
- Temeraire by Naomi Novik
- Completed series of 9 books
- I’ve read 3 of 9 books, 1 in the 4th quarter
- I really like this world and these characters, the 4th one is already on my shelf.
- Defy the Night by Brigid Kemmerer
- Planned trilogy, 2nd book released in 2022, no date yet for #3
- I’ve read 2 of 2 books released, 1 in the 4th quarter
- Defy the Night was probably my favorite book of 2022 and the sequel was good , not great. I’m very much looking forward to the conclusion and need a release date.
- Stitch in Time by Kelley Armstrong
- Unknown series length, currently 3 books released, the last one in 2022
- I’ve read 3 of 3 books released, 1 in the 4th quarter
- This series is so much fun although I didn’t love the 3rd book
- Aurora Cycle by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman
- Completed trilogy
- I’ve read 2 of 3 books, 1 in the 4th quarter
- I gave the first two books 5 and 4 stars, respectively. The end of the 2nd book was explosive. Book 3 in on my 2023 must read list.
Series I Haven’t Continued but Want To
And my last category is series that I haven’t touched in the last 3 months but do intend to keep reading. A lot of these are because the next book isn’t out yet but some I just haven’t been in the mood for. I did trim this down a bit, removing a few series that I just need to admit that I won’t be continuing because I’d need to reread the beginning at this point.
- The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu– I’m still intimidated by the second book but I do remember the 1st one vividly so keeping this one on the list at least for now.
- Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao – Book 2 is coming in August and I can’t wait.
- The Last Binding by Freya Marske – Book 2 of this trilogy was published in November and I plan to pick it up in 2023.
- The Drowning Empire by Andrea Stewart – I have some issues with this series but the 3rd book is supposed to be published in April and I need to find out what happens with Mephi.
- Castles in Their Bones by Laura Sebastian – Book 2 is supposed to be released in February, I’m excited.
- Realm of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb – I’m currently almost halfway through book 3.
- The Book of Tea by Judy I Lin – The second book in this duology was released in August. I didn’t hear the best things and am a little torn about continuing. I’ll probably pick it up in the spring if at all.
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor – I have only read book 1 but will be continuing soon, I just didn’t want to pick up that chunker of a book at the end of the year.
- Starlight’s Shadow by Jessie Mihalik– The third book is supposed to be released in 2023.
- Greatcoats by Sebastien de Castell – I really enjoyed the first book in this series. My library doesn’t have the next one so still trying to track it down.
- Twin Crowns by Catherine Doyle and Katherine Webber – The second book is supposed to be released in April.
- Tita Rosie’s Kitchen Mysteries by Mia P Manansala – I plan to pick up book 2 in January.
- The Time Trials by Jon and Dayna McConnell – I got the second book for Christmas and plan to pick it up in January.
- American Royals by Katharine McGee– The fourth book is supposed to be released in 2023.
- Spellslinger by Sebastien de Castell – I’ve read 3 of the 6 books, I plan to continue and maybe even finish it throughout 2023.
- Supernatual Investigations by BB Alston – Book 3 is expected to be published in 2023.
- Monk and Robot by Becky Chambers – No further books are currently listed in Goodreads but I believe this series is continuing and if it is, I will be reading it.
Wow, that’s a long list, thanks for reading!