It’s Sunday and time for Six for Sunday! This is a weekly blog feature started by A Little But a Lot. This week’s prompt is my favorite Black characters. This was a hard one for me both to narrow it down and to remember character names which I’m terrible at but here’s what I came up with.
- Devon from Ace of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé – I loved everything about this book but I really loved Devon and his story.
- Amari from Amari and the Night Brothers by BB Alston – Amari is such an amazing character and I love that she’s the main character in this awesome middle grade book, I hope the intended audience is loving this book as much as the adults on booktube because more young kids need to read characters like Amari.
- Michael from The Black Flamingo by Dean Atta– I loved Michael’s journey in this novel in verse.
- Maverick from Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas – Mav was intriguing in The Hate U Give but oh boy, his story in Concrete Rose was so unlike anything I’ve read and I love what it did for his character.
- Alice from Let’s Talk About Love by Claire Kann – I had issues with the side characters in this one but I loved Alice. She was an interesting character that I couldn’t help but rooting for.
- Liz from You Should See Me in a Crown by Leah Johnson – Liz is another character I just had to root for, I loved her background and how much she fought for what she wanted despite everything else.
Stay tuned these Six for Sunday prompts during the rest of October which are in celebration of UK Black history month:
- October 17 – Books that celebrate Black voices
- October 24 – Books by Black authors I want to read
- October 31 – Recommended reads by Black authors